North Carolina Concealed Carry is by far the most requested firearms course requested, and as such it fills up fast. Be sure you reserve your seat as soon as possible after registration opens up.
The purpose of the North Carolina Concealed Carry course is to teach you the laws concerning deadly force, justifiable use of deadly force, and where you can and cannot carry concealed within the state of NC. We will cover a lot of material in this course, but will do so in small sections so as to be sure all students are learning all the required material.
There will be a 10-minute break every hour or so at which time you can ask instructors additional questions or clarify information from the previous session. There is also a 1 hour lunch break from approximately 12-1 PM.
There is a written exam at the end of the course as well as a range shooting requirement.
We are supremely confident in our instructors and in our dedication to safety and the transfer of knowledge, especially in our concealed carry course. If, for any reason, you aren’t fully satisfied that you’ve been instructed to the highest standards, simply pull one of our staff aside at the end of the day and let us know. We will refund 100% of your fee.
Firearms In The Classroom
Students ARE allowed to bring a firearm into the classroom for the concealed carry course. The following rules will apply. Failure to follow these rules will be grounds to have you removed from the classroom.
- Permitted firearms are semi-automatic or revolvers between .380 to .45 caliber.
- ALL firearms will be checked at the door by the training staff.
- ALL firearms will remain ON the table in the OPEN position during the course.
- NO AMMUNITION OF ANY KIND IS ALLOWED IN THE CLASSROOM
Note: Simply passing this course does NOT grant you a permit to carry concealed. This course is the instructional portion of a two-step process you mush go through in order to get your permit in North Carolina. The second step is to take your course completion certificate and contact the sheriff’s office in the county in which you legally reside.(not another county.) They will complete the process required, including a criminal background check; and your permit will come in the mail or to your local sheriff’s office, depending on your county’s procedure. Most counties will require something similar to the following:
- Original Firearms Safety Training Course Certificate (provided from our academy)
- Processing Fee – Usually between $60-$100 depending on the county.
- Valid North Carolina Drivers License or Identification Card with current address
- One other legal form of ID (passport, Birth Certificate, etc)
- Copy of United States Passport or Citizenship papers if born outside of the United States
Photo Release: By taking the North Carolina Concealed Carry course through SAFT Academy, you agree to have your photo taken with your qualifying firearm and target. This is for our records only. If a concealed-carry holder is ever charged with a firearm-related crime, we will be subpoenaed to court to testify as to your training and certification. This photo will provide proof of attendance, the firearm you qualified with, as well as your overall competency with the firearm on the range.
Students are required to bring the following supplies with them to class. These are all basic necessities every shooter needs to have in his or her possession to complete this course.
Items with an asterisk beside them are available online. See bottom of page for details.
- Valid NC Driver’s License or NC Identification card.
(a copy will be made for our records, as required by law.)
- Notebook with stiff backing for taking notes.
- Pencils or Pens
- Snacks/Drinks if you want. Depending on the training location, sometimes a refrigerator is available, but we teach this course all over the state, so don’t depend on this being available.
- Pistol ( If you do not have a firearm of your own, you can rent a semiautomatic or revolver for $10 at the range on class day. If you need ammunition on class day, this will be sold at whatever the going rate is for a box of 50 rounds, currently around $30.)
– Single Action Revolvers are NOT ALLOWED for this course.
- Caliber: This is the only course we teach where .22 caliber is NOT permitted to qualify. The reason for this is that few people ever choose a .22 for concealed carry. Qualifying on a .22 and then carrying a much larger caliber (9mm or .45 ACP) doesn’t prepare you for the reality of shooting your firearm. The recoil from larger calibers is substantially different than shooting with a .22 caliber pistol. We want you to have the best, most realistic, shooting experience in order to feel safe and confident with your firearm.
- Ammunition: North Carolina requires 30 rounds of ammunition to be fired for your certification. A box of 50 rounds is the MINIMUM you need to bring to class with you. NO RELOADED AMMUNITION ALLOWED IN THIS COURSE – ammo must be in factory packaging.
- (Due to the limited quantities of ammunition available in stores right now, it is suggested that you purchase your ammunition well in advance to be sure you can get the right ammo for your firearm.)
- Purchasing Ammunition – See our FAQ for suggestions on what kind of ammunition to purchase for classes if you aren’t already familiar with what you need.
- A holster is allowed and recommended but not required.
(Concealed carry holsters are allowed in this class. The same principles apply, but all participants might not have their concealed carry permit, so student comfort and knowledge may vary.)
- Clothing: North Carolina requires 8 hours of course instruction for this class. Dress comfortable. Remember to dress accordingly if you will be drawing from the holster on the firing line.(belt, etc)
- Hearing Protection*
- Eye Protection*
Not Sure What To Get?
We realize shooting supplies can be confusing to people not familiar with firearms. Purchasing the wrong merchandise can often damage your firearm, or cause you to have to buy something else because the previous item wasn’t suited to your needs.
To save you money and time, we have compiled a list of items on Amazon that we believe are both cost-effective and that perform satisfactorily for shooters. For example, if you are a veteran shooter, you may already own a great pair of active-electronic hearing protection, but a novice shooter would be tempted to purchase ear-plugs instead or over-spend on items they do not need, not realizing the potential cost savings wasted.
We want shooting to be fun, affordable, and something you can do often. If you do not already have all the shooting supplies you need, we suggest you visit the Range Supplies page for advice on items that are both effective and yet affordable. Where applicable, we have chosen items that qualify for Amazon prime so customers can get free shipping.
Visit the Range Supplies Page for more information.
Ready to Sign Up?
If you are ready to register for the course, you can register online. There are two steps involved.
First, visit the course calendar to determine which class date you would like to register for.
Once you’ve picked your class from the calendar, and read more about it, go to the registration form to sign up. That’s it!
Pingback: Selecting Ammunition - Critical Thinking - S.A.F.T. Academy
Pingback: Give the gift of Education for Christmas - S.A.F.T. Academy